While I have been called a control freak, anal-retentive, obsessive and a few other less-than-complimentary terms, ultimately my travel companions have come to rely upon me. Why? Because I’m the one who packs the travel-sized bottle of Lysol spray.
I also pack things like an eyeglass repair kit, sewing kit, ear plugs, eye mask, pillow spray and snacks. I like having the comforts of home. I like being prepared. I like feeling like I have some control, especially during periods of travel when you often give up so much of your control to others.
Over the years I’ve collected travel tips from other people as well. Here are some of my favorites:
- Keep toiletries for travel packed at all times
- Have laminated cards in your suitcase with basic necessities needed for periods of travel up to three days, up to seven days, and 10 or more days
- Pack a small bag with snacks. When empty you can pack souvenirs or dirty laundry into it.
- If two or more people are traveling together, pack half of each person’s clothing into both suitcases, that way if a suitcase goes missing each of you has at least half of your wardrobe.
- Take a small overnight bag with a zippered waterproof compartment and use it for small trips of two or three days. Turn it into your entire toiletry bag for longer trips.
- Spend at least one day relaxing and taking in the atmosphere of wherever you are.
- Use Tripit on your iPhone. It stores all of your trip and travel information.
- Use clear plastic, space saver storage bags. They create more real estate to pack more and keep security from actually touching your stuff if they have to go through your bag.
I’d love to hear some of your travel tips too.